ku ro i

What does an East Indian muslim born in Africa, married to a Canadian, living in Texas, stay at home dad, think of what is happening in the world?

Monday, February 24, 2014

Humane?

Recently my family had to put down a cat which was in the family longer than the children.  Everyone knows I am not a pet lover, and have never been one. My family was attached to this cat. My children grew up with this cat.  Simon was part of the family.

According to my wife Simon was way past old age.  He was over 20 years old.  He had gotten senile and seemed now to be in pain.  When they took him to the vet, it turned out he had kidney issues.  My wife to her credit decided Simon didn't deserve to suffer.  So she along with the vet set a day to put him down.  The family had one last weekend with him and the vet made sure he wasn't in pain for the weekend.

This was very hard on my family and I wasn't sure how it would play out.  On the following Monday they took him to the vet and and brought his body back for burial in our yard.  I had to dig a grave for Simon.  Simon was laid to rest and at some point this summer we will plant something over the grave.

Everyone who is told of this story believes this is the humane thing.  When someone you love is suffering and their life is not going to get better, why should we enable more suffering.  This cat did not deserve to continue suffering.  His quality of life had diminished to the point where there was no quality.  His survival was the selfishness of his loved ones, not wanting to let go.

This is what makes us humane?  If this what being human is, then explain to me why we don't treat humans the way we treat our pets?  Why would the idea of taking a family member to the hospital to have them put down be so troubling?  Can you pick your day of death?

Should we allow people to choose?  Is it not humane to help the suffering stop?  Everyone says they do not want to be in a vegetative state.  The majority of us do not want to live beyond where the quality of our life is diminished. So why does the thought of putting down a relative cause such negative feelings and connotations?

If I am unable to function on my own, and am in constant discomfort, why cannot I choose to end my suffering?  Ofcourse you can, its called suicide, but it won't be as peaceful or painless as Simon's last day.  Why cannot my family make the decision if I am unable.  Why should there be stigma attached to the idea of helping a family member or friend end his or her suffering?

Is that not humane?  Or are only animals worthy of the humane nature of the human beings?  Do we love our animals more than ourselves?

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Dale said…

    The answer to this question is ... RELIGION. It's religion that puts the illogical arguments for keeping people alive for the sake of being alive. It's religion that calls it "ethics"...when they mean "dogma"
    To my mind, it's a sad philosophy that causes unnecessary pain and heartbreak. :(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home