ku ro i

What does an East Indian muslim born in Africa, married to a Canadian, living in Texas, stay at home dad, think of what is happening in the world?

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Bah humbug!!!

Let's get this out front.  I am Muslim and I have never been a fan of Christmas.  Part of it is I never grew up with it, so I cannot relate to any memories from childhood.  Then as I grew up I became a proponent of living less, which in today's age means being against the current meaning of Christmas.  Christmas means consumerism today.  It's all about buying things.  It's all about selling things.  Marketing!

I have been anti red movement and the pink breast cancer campaign. Both campaigns are used by corporations to increase their sales.  It never helps anyone but the corporation and their bottom line.

So it's not a surprise I am the only one disgusted by the hoopla over an airline an their little Christmas stunt.  They asked passengers what they would like and then when the plane landed the gifts came wrapped on the conveyor belt..ahhh what a wonderful gesture....@&$!!! That shit!!!

First of all most people getting on the plane don't need help with gifts. Second giving them gifts is not what helping people at Christmas is about. 

How about taking that money and feeding the hungry? Donating the amount to those who need the help. Every city has a food bank.  I will only fly that airline if they have the cheapest flight and even that will not guarantee my business.  Now that I know how they are willing to manipulate the people and the cause to increase the business.  I bet all those people who saw this add vowed  be their customers. How  their business has gone up. And the people (smart ones) got manipulated. 

C'mon when are we going too get smart?  Ask yourself, who benefits from this stunt?  Not, the hungry, the poor, and those who need the most at Christmas.  Only the airlines bottom line is the winner.

Yeah call me scrounge but when I help someone the motive is real.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Bah Humbug is right!! A cynical essay on Christmas, eh? I suggest that Christmas doesn't HAVE to be as commercial as you say it is. I don't mean that stores or airlines won't continue to market and push their wares because that's to be expected.
    The real decision comes down to what YOU do at Christmas. How can thinking about and showing one's appreciation of one's family and friends be such a bad thing? if you don't want to BUY something then DO something. Christmas is what you make it to be. it's not that difficult to be creative if it's important to you and no one will judge you. Christmas doesn't :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home